Great info from Cogans Pizza North (Stop in to see us at the Virginia Children’s Festival today)
Cogans pies are everywhere! Stop in to see us today the Virginia Children’s Festival @ Town Point Park in Norfolk.
Norfolk, VA – (September 24, 2019) – The 31st Annual Virginia Children’s Festival will be held Saturday, October 5, 2019, from 10am to 3pm at Town Point Park along the Downtown Norfolk Waterfront.
Hampton Roads’ most exciting family festival is filled with more than 100 fun, creative, and interactive activities that are incorporated into this year’s theme of “Under the Sea.” Activities include storytelling, hands-on workshops, educational displays, cultural experiences, arts and crafts, military demonstrations, costumed characters, and more! This event is designed with children 10 and younger in mind.
In honor of the 20th anniversary of the Norfolk Mermaid, the 2019 Virginia Children’s Festival will feature two live mermaids, the costumed cast of The Little Mermaid, and mermaid-themed arts, crafts, and apparel.
In addition, the festival is organized into separate aquatic-themed zones, with each zone offering a unique educational experience. From jaw-dropping science at the Education Station to the diverse traditions of the Cultural Coast to the live dance and musical performances at the WHRO Public Media Lights! Camera! Action! Stage, festival guests are treated to an action-packed afternoon of fun and friendship.
Interactive and educational zones include the Education Station, The Fun Zone, Discovery Dock, Cultural Coast, River Walk, Friendship Beach, Toddler Town, and TowneBank Fountain Park. Live music and dance performances are also available on three different stages, including the WHRO Public Media Lights! Camera! Action! Stage, the Ready! Set! Go! Stage, and the Mid-Autumn Moon Stage. In addition, there also scheduled live performances, demonstrations, and storytelling, as well as a roaming cast of costumed characters.
Headlining this year’s live performances are Lucy Kalantari & The Jazz Cats, WHRO’s Mr. Steve with special guest Skye Zentz, and the Hurrah Players. 2019 Grammy winners Lucy Kalantari & the Jazz Cats bring delightful jazz-age-inspired music everyone can enjoy. Kids and families will love the interactive jazz-scat-along play, while singing about the simple joys and delights of life.
A complete listing of entertainment at the 31st Annual Virginia Children’s Festival can be found below, as well as online at bit.ly/VCF2019.
Tickets are $5 for all ages (infants age one and under are free) and can be purchased at bit.ly/FesteventsTix.
Stage, Activity & Storytelling Schedule
WHRO Public Media Lights! Camera! Action! Stage
10:15am NEW! Hurrah Players present The Little Mermaid
11:00am NEW! WHRO Public Media presents GreenBeats with Skye Zentz and Steve Songs
11:50am Baby Shark Dance!
12:00pm NEW! Lucy Kalantari & The Jazz Cats
12:45pm NEW! Hurrah Players present The Little Mermaid
1:30pm NEW! WHRO Public Media Presents Steve Songs with special guest Skye Zentz
2:15pm Baby Shark Dance!
2:30pm NEW! Lucy Kalantari & The Jazz Cats
Ready, Set, GO! Stage
10:10am AOM Suzuki Strings Program
10:40am Ballet Virginia
11:10am Todd Rosenlieb Dance
12:10pm Little Gym Jets
12:40pm Evelyn Ott School of Dance
1:10pm NEW! Zumba Kids with Tanecia & Tamerah
1:45pm BellA Dance
2:15pm Mad Science of Hampton Roads – Interactive Science Show
Mid-Autumn Moon Stage
10:30am NEW! Tidewater Chinese School Cucurbit Flute Performance
10:40am Tidewater Chinese School Band Performance
11:00am NEW! Er Hu by Tidewater Chinese School
11:15am NEW! Tidewater Chinese School Zither Ensemble
11:30am NEW! Tidewater Chinese School Zither Solo
11:45am NEW! Chinese Kungfu by Confucius Center Institute at ODU
12:00pm NEW! Vocal Solo by Confucius Center Institute at ODU
1:30pm Jow Ga Kung Fu Martial Arts Demo
2:00pm Jow Ga Kung Fu Chinese Lion Dance Performance
Pirate’s Den School for Pirates with the Defiant Crew:
11:00am, 12:00pm, 1:00pm, 2:00pm
Lemonade Ripple Book Nook:
10:00am, 11:15am, 11:45am, 12:30pm, 1:45pm
Back Bay Mermaid Book Nook:
10:45am, 11:45am, 12:45pm, 2:00pm
NEW! REACH Book Nook with Florenza Lee:
11:30am, 1:00pm, 2:30pm
NEW! Storytime with Mermaid Bryn:
10:15am, 11:15am, 12:15am, 1:30pm
- Make your own tiara, visit the costumed dancers’ dance shoe petting zoo, and enjoy performances with Ballet Virginia.
- Performances by Evelyn Ott School of Dance.
- Enjoy performances by BellA Dance.
- NEW! Zumba demos and performances by Zumba Kids with Tanecia & Tamerah!
- Watch performances by Todd Rosenlieb Dance Center and VBT professional dancers along with youth performers and visit their booth to win free tickets to this weekend’s “Stories for the Young” production!
- Go crazy with science at the Mad Science of Hampton Roads tent doing hands on experiments with chemical reactions, dry ice and electricity!
- The Brain Balance Center will stimulate brain development through fun creative movement stations.
- Pirates from the Defiant Crew!Learn about a pirates’ life at their School for Pirates!
- Stay up to date with the The Virginian-Pilot, the #1 news source for Hampton Roads.
- The Norfolk Public Library is back by popular demand … crafts, costume meet and greets with Pete the Cat, and the Bookmobile!
- Stop by WHRO Public Media’s PBS Kid’s Village to meet Super Why and Jet from Sid the Science Kid & have fun at their interactive environmental station!
- NEW! Visit GEICO to learn about safe driving to protect you and your family on the road.
- Join ODU Physics and check out a hands-on interactive physics lab.
- Enjoy a wooden craft project with the Tidewater Council, Boy Scouts of America!
- NEW! Stop by the VA 529 booth to learn how you can financially plan for your child’s college career.
- Plant, tree or flower? Name that smell with the VCE Norfolk Master Gardeners!
- NEW! Learn about car seat safety and participate in a raffle for a car seat with CHKD Trauma Services, Nursing Services & Therapy Services.
- NEW! Join CHKD Respiratory Therapy for asthma education and an interactive “Test your lung strength” game.
- NEW! Make your mermaid headband or pirate bandana at the Kids Art and Crafts Tent.
- NEW! Learn to cook with Now You’re Cooking Culinary Studio –offering culinary demonstrations all day long!
- Giant Lawn Games!
- NEW! Chalk the Walk! Draw a picture of your favorite sea creature on the walkways of Town Point Park help decorate the park with your spark!
The Fun Zone
- Quench your thirst and learn about doing something sweet from your friends at the Foundation for Community Betterment. Listen to stories at the Lemonade Ripple Book Nook.
- Super Market Sweep! Shop for breakfast lunch and dinner at the play grocery store.
- Check out Hot 100, Virginia’s hit music channel.
- NEW! Craft away with LemonDrop Makery!
- NEW! Listen to music that makes you feel good from today and back in the day with Movin 107.7.
- Meet a professional dancer and make your own nutcracker craft with the Richmond Ballet!
- NEW! Make and take a bookmark at REACH and enjoy story time with Children’s author Florenza Lee!
- Visit with the fairest Real Fairy Tale Party princesses in all the land.
- Explore the world of plants with the Norfolk Botanical Garden!
- Learn about your future as a Monarch at ODU.edu, and be on the lookout for Old Dominion University’s Big Blue!
- Get moving with The Little Gym! Performances at the Ready, Set, GO! Stage.
- Play Doh Island Imagination Station!
- Legoland! Put your creative thinking cap on and build a structure with thousands of Legos.
- Play a plinko game and make a friend with the Girl Scouts of the Colonial Coast.
- NEW!Stop by the Under the Sea Coloring Station where you can meet Hurrah Player’s sea creatures, color a life-size mermaid, and learn the baby shark dance!
- Grab a seat, meet a mermaid and hear a story read at the Back Bay Mermaid Book Nook!
- Teddy Bear Tea – Have a picnic in the park with your favorite teddy!
- Set up camp, dress up, and imagine at the Little Soldiers tent.
- Dress up like royalty in the Princess Pavilion.
- NEW!If you’re looking for spiritual enrichment programs for your entire family, take a moment to speak with the representatives of The Mount.
- Visit with the Confucius Center Institute at ODU and practice your calligraphy!
- NEW!Learn about oriental brush painting with Blue Heron Chapter, Sumi-e Society of America.
- Learn Chinese and enjoy performances with the Tidewater Chinese School!
- Brush up on your martial arts and learn about the traditional Chinese Dragon dance with Jow Ga Kung Fu.
- Enjoy performances on the International Stage by the Eastern Virginia Chinese American Association!
- NEW!Norwegian crafts, coloring pages and more with Sons of Norway!
- See and learn about traditional Chinese artifacts with First Chinese Baptist Church.
- Brush up on your Chinese calligraphy and art with the Organization of Chinese Americans-Eastern Virginia Chapter.
- NEW! Learn about how Optima Health can provide healthy lifestyle options for you and your family.
- NEW!Brush up on your biofacts and spin a prize wheel with the Virginia Zoo!
- NEW!Learn about hurricane preparedness and weather safety with JES.
- Go fishing for rubber duckies with CHIP of South Hampton Roads!
- Let your imagination soar with the Children’s Museum of Virginia!
- Play a recycling drop game with Hampton Roads Recycling Perks.
- Check out the sound of now with 94.9, The Point Radio Station.
- NEW!You work hard for your money, let ABNB Federal Credit Union teach you how to save and invest!
- NEW!Let Anthem help you find the health insurance plan which best suits your household’s needs.
- Gear up for a family road trip with Southern Auto Group!
- NEW!State Farm is here to educate you on a variety of life, auto, homeowners, and renters insurance plans that fit your family’s budget.
- NEW! Visit the IBM booth where you can get a free tattoo and learn to code by turning your initials into a key ring!
- NEW!Let out your wild side with the Virginia Living Museum!
- NEW!For wireless family plans with great coverage, Metro PCS is available to get you started today.
- NEW! Stop by and meet your favorite mascot, Salty, and try on hockey gear with the Norfolk Admirals!
- Town Point Train Depot… CHOO CHOO!! Take a ride on the Town Point Express ($)
- NEW!Make your favorite balloon sea creature animal with Dilly Dally Clowns!
- Enjoy free sea-worthy face painting with Funny Faces by Julie!
- NEW! Storytime with Mermaid Bryn!
- Toys and tikes galore in a gated area for our younger festival guests! Climb, jump, run & skip in this festival playground in the Festival Baby Ball Pits! To enter, toddlers must be 3ft tall or shorter. Here you will find Gymboree.
- NEW!Stop in for a hot slice with Pizza Hut!
TowneBank Fountain Park
- NEW! Touch a Boat- Experience up close & personal views of all your favorite sea crafts!
- NEW!Let your energy SOAR in Inflatable Land!
VCF Costumed Characters
Andy the Octopus
Back Bay Mermaid
Bryn the Mermaid
Defiant Crew Pirates
The Little Mermaid Cast
Mr. Steve of WHRO
Pete the Cat
Sandy the Sea Turtle
Sid the Science Kid
Star Wars Storm Troopers
VCF Food Vendors
Deep Fried Kettle Corn
Grace & Sarah American Cuisine
Grapevine Greek Food
Kraffles Krazy Waffles
Pollard’s Food Truck
Seafoam Cotton Candy
Spud’s American Cuisine
VCF Retail Vendors
The Bear Necessities
The 31st Annual Virginia Children’s Festival is produced by Norfolk Festevents, the City of Norfolk, and WHRO Public Media, and sponsored by Waterside District, Norfolk Waterside Marriott, The Main, WAVY TV 10, Optima Health, ABNB Federal Credit Union, IBM, Walmart, Max Media, Anthem, Southern Auto Group, Newport News Shipbuilding, and Virginia Is For Lovers.
Norfolk Festevents, Ltd., based in Norfolk, Virginia, is a private, not-for-profit organization dedicated to creating the most dynamic urban waterfront community in America through innovative programming and imaginative uses of its historic waterfront spaces. An extensive 10-month schedule of diverse outdoor cultural events, festivals, concerts, entertainment, holiday programs, and tall ship visits are presented in two popular and welcoming waterfront environments; Town Point Park located in downtown Norfolk on the banks of the Elizabeth River and Ocean View Beach Park situated on the shore line of the Chesapeake Bay. Norfolk Festevents has served as the City of Norfolk’s official event marketing agency since the city’s downtown waterfront revitalization initiatives began in 1982. The organization has garnered international acclaim for its advocacy for public access to waterfronts, outstanding quality programming and development of public spaces, transforming Norfolk into one of the most progressive, fun and livable waterfront communities in the country. Residents, workers, and visitors to Norfolk and the Hampton Roads region are invited to experience all the fun and excitement of the 2019 season!